BEP-Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APL Benefit, nov 27 '07

Go down

APL Benefit, nov 27 '07 Empty APL Benefit, nov 27 '07

Post  avid Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:04 am

Fans, celebs attend A.P.L. benefit

BY Albert Bataclan
BALITA NEWS SERVICE

LOS ANGELES—In conjunction with his 33rd birthday, Apl.de.ap. and The Black Eyed Peas’ Peapod Foundation presented the Allen Pineda Lindo (A.P.L.) Benefit at the Vanguard in Hollywood on Nov. 27.

The event, attended by fans and celebrity friends of the group, aimed to raise money and support for the Pearl S. Buck Foundation and the Angeles University Foundation in the Philippines.

“I also came from one of these foundations in the Philippines,” Apl said. “The Pearl S. Buck Foundation helped me to be adopted and come to the U.S. Now, with my success, it is very important for me to give back and help others in need.”

Since the foundation’s conception, they have successfully built a music and art center in the Los Angeles Watts area and a community center in South Africa. According to Will.i.am, front man and one of the founding members of the Black Eyed Peas, “We started the foundation in 1999 in celebration of Allan Pineda (Apl), my best friend in the group. Coming from the Philippines at 14 as a foster child and adopted, he wanted to give back to needy kids in foster homes when we got a little bit of money.” Will.i.am also said that with their current worldwide success, they aim to build community centers for economic livelihood and the arts in the Philippines as well as other poverty-stricken parts of the world. Apl said that he is currently helping the Pampanga region, where he is from, and plans to create bigger programs to help children for the rest of the country. “We have just repainted my old elementary building and high school in Pampanga and have also donated fans for the kids to help them study better, since it is so hot there,” Apl said.

Celebrities show support
Celebrity friends of Apl and the Black Eyed Peas also walked the red carpet to share their support for Apl’s cause as well as to celebrate his birthday.

Shar Jackson, known for her television roles as well as for being the mother of Kevin Federline’s (Britney Spears’ ex-husband) two children, came to support the benefit. “I think it’s awesome that this event will specifically help Filipino children,” she said. “You don’t hear much about people in Hollywood supporting Asian causes…and this is a good start.”

Angela Perez Baraquio, Miss America 2001, co-hosted the event with BEP band member Taboo and said that she was very happy to be in attendance. “I’m a former teacher from Hawaii and I fully support Apl’s mission because it benefits children,” she said. “It’s great that Apl is doing something positive by giving back to our people as he celebrates his birthday.”

Other celebrities who came to support were actress Bai Ling, boxer Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, rapper-comedian Christopher “Kid” Reid of Kid ‘n Play, the Basco Brothers and Fil-Am rapper Lil Jordan.

Apl looks back
“Back in the Philippines before I moved here, I celebrated my birthday with a lot of food,” Apl said. “We would cook kalamay, pandahan, chicken adobo, pancit and ginataan.” He said that his modest beginnings made him appreciate success, building an urge him to give back to those who are in need.

He also said that his Filipino musical influences were Asin and Freddie Aguilar and revealed that he had a crush on Lea Salonga.
Fergie, the current female member of the group, was in New York and was unable to attend the event, but instead sent a video greeting that was played during the concert. In the greeting, she wished Apl more success and strength to continue his charitable work.

Powerful performances
The musical celebration of the evening was a blast from the past for the Black Eyed Peas, who performed early hits from their 1998 album Behind the Front and their first hit record from 2000, “Weekends,” featuring the first female member of the group, Esthero. They also performed the hit “Let’s Get it Started” from their highly successful Elephunk album of 2003. Will.I.Am also performed his newest hit “I Got It From My Momma” while Apl performed “Bebot.”

Other performers of the evening were the Shaolin Warriors, who performed a martial arts routine, as well as an act from the women of The Secret Burlesque.

avid

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum